Thank you to everyone who contributes to technical forums.
I would especially like to thank poster Michael and participant Thomas77 in this six year old thread "Win7 Pro x64 bit HP LaserJet 3015 driver problem" on the Microsoft forums.
This is good advice that's good for versions of Windows even beyond 7:
Try to install printer driver with the following method:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Devices and Printers.
2. Click Add a Printer.
3. Select "Add a local printer".
4. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.
5. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.
\\ [IP address of the host computer]\[The Share Name of the printer]
Then click Next.
6. Choose the correct driver in the driver list. If no available driver, click the button Windows Update, wait for the process finishes and then look for the driver again.
7. Finish the installation.